Notice of resignation of the FISA Chair and Call for candidates to stand for election as the next FISA Chair
Simon Hodgson will step down as the FISA Chair in June 2023, on completion of the two-year Chair term of office. During his post Simon has provided clear and proactive leadership helping change attitudes, encouraging a greater understanding of the need to improve safety at every level in the industry. Under Simon’s direction FISA has seen continued membership growth and an increase in commercial members from a wider sector of industry. FISA Working Groups are active and embarking on topics as laid out in the 2023 – 2028 FISA Strategy.
The FISA Board express their thanks to Simon for his proactive approach during his period as FISA Chair and as a Director since the 2017 AGM and look forward to welcoming a new Chair to support the Accord.
FISA began in 2012 with a call to arms to representatives from many of the leading industry organisations. We are pleased to have made great strides in our approach, seeing continued growth with many more from the industry joining and signing the FISA Accord. Our Accord sets out the commitment that each organisation, and the sector at large, can make to raise the standard of health and safety in their place of work.
The FISA Chair will champion the FISA Accord, providing clear and proactive leadership to change attitudes and behaviour at every level of industry. On appointment as Chair, they will also be appointed as a Director of FISA.
We now commence a call for nominees to identify the next FISA Chair who can continue building from the solid position in which Simon leaves FISA .
The Chair shall hold office for a period of two years but will be eligible for re-election. It is an unpaid voluntary role, with renumeration toward travel expenses.
It is essential that you read the relevant role description listed below, before being nominated for the position as FISA Chair. If you’re elected, you will have legal responsibilities for the running of FISA. We strongly encourage applications from candidates with previous senior leadership experience. Candidates who wish to stand for election as Chair may be either Steering Group representatives or a single external candidate nominated by a Steering Group representative or Board member and seconded by another Steering Group representative or Board member.
The role of the FISA Chair is to:
- Promote FISA at all levels of industry and government;
- Agree strategic direction with Steering Group Representatives and ensure clarity for FISA’s organisation and objects;
- Chair Steering Group Representatives meetings and build consensus around the key directions and decisions; four meetings will be held per annum, in the main on Microsoft Teams;
- Work closely with the Company Chief Executive; and FISA Board;
- Ensure the Company operates in accordance with its Articles of Association.
If you wish to nominate a candidate, please reply by email to email@example.com by 5pm on 31st May 2023. Your email needs to demonstrate how the nominee meets the points noted above and how they can support FISA in the future years. Candidates put forward will enter an election vote by the FISA Steering Group. In your nomination, please include:
- The name and contact details for the person nominated (please ensure you have established their agreement prior submitting a nominee);
- The name, FISA office role, and contact details of the persons nominating and seconding the candidate;
- Candidate statement on suitability (this will be shared at election stage with the FISA SG representatives.