As production increases, we need to ensure that the UK Forest haulage fleet is safe and efficient. This covers round timber, aggregate, machine and general deliveries within the forest environment. All stakeholders should be aware of the need for appropriate minimum standards in HGV equipment, load security as well as forest roading and access.
The transportation of timber to market is a critical part of the supply chain - this group will dynamically promote safe operation in loading and timber movement in the forest. It will liaise with the relevant Timber Transport and governmental bodies including RHA, Confor, TTF, FLS and NRW across the UK.
The group will continue to provide a link between the industry and key vehicle and component manufacturers, ensuring updates on safety innovation is communicated in both directions.
CHAIR - Neil Stoddart - Creel Consulting
Peter McKerral & Co
Michael Oliver –Ferguson Transport
Jonathan Ritchie –James Jones
Neil Murray – FLS
Roland Stiven - Confor
Steve Price - Tilhill Forestry
Mick Bottomley - FLS
Jacqueline Roberts - NRW
Kieron M Owen Transport Ltd
David Stoddart – A W Jenkinson
John Scott – JST Services (Scotland) Ltd
Murray Clark - Clark Engineering
Katherine Gostick (observer) - HSE
Gillian Clark (support) - FISA CEO
To discuss safety issues and keep the UK timber haulage industry well informed.
2020-2022 Actions and Priorities:
- Review and produce a guidance note ‘708 Working at Height regulations’
- Deliver a Forest Haulage CPC / CPD Module ‘+F’ based on the FISA Forest Haulage Safety Manual
- Produce a Forest Haulage Safety Training / induction video
- Consult with industry to produce a Guidance note ‘707 Roundwood in Ports’
- Revise the Driver focused – FISA Forest Haulage Safety Manual
- Work with relevant FISA working groups to ensure haulage issues, such as roading, and operational integration with other forest users is embedded.
- Review / work with Training providers to ensure future loader training meets specific forestry requirements.
- Continue to monitor guidance on load security / timber strapping - arrange an overseas visits to review Haulage Safety and load security innovation
- Garner feedback on safety issues from Haulage companies and drivers to maintain an open loop on safety development.