FISA is seeking to improve safety in forestry through:
- Developing an understanding among forestry investors, forest owners and their agents of the hazards of forestry and the costs associated with realising the value of their investment safely
- Ensuring that people at all levels, whatever their role, have the necessary training, skills, experience and personal attributes to properly manage the significant risks associated with forestry operations
- Ensuring that sufficient time is taken for effective planning of all forestry work from inception to completion, in order that safety is not compromised
- Ensuring that workers undertaking higher-risk activities (such as using chainsaws) are competent and well supported, and that the planning of such work accommodates enough time and resource for the work to be done safely
- Challenging unsafe behaviour through effective monitoring and supervision at all levels.